Monday, January 30, 2012

Hair loss and a vegetarian diet-- how fast would a nutrient deficiency start to cause hair loss?

Recently I've noticed that I'm losing more hair than usual. I always lose quite a bit, but I have a lot too, so I was never that worried about it. but in the last few weeks, I seem to be losing significantly more than usual.





So lots of things can cause this, but a big one is diet. I recently (about 4 weeks ago) started to almost completely cut meat out of my diet. I've been tracking pretty closely to make sure I'm getting the protein and nutrients I need (I eat a lot of beans and veggies, and I still eat a fair amount of dairy and eggs), but if I did have a nutrient deficiency that caused hair loss, would it have started to take effect in only a few weeks? That seems fast to me, but I don't know.Hair loss and a vegetarian diet-- how fast would a nutrient deficiency start to cause hair loss?
Lots of people would give you their two-cents, but if I were you, I would seek professional advice.Hair loss and a vegetarian diet-- how fast would a nutrient deficiency start to cause hair loss?
While vegetarianism is completely unnatural and less than healthy it is probably not the reason for the hair loss. A diet that is too low in fat and overall calories CAN lead to hair loss though and it can happen rapidly. There's always the option of eating properly (or getting a wig). I'd go with the first option. Your physiological need for meat is rooted deep in your DNA.....like it or not.
think about it. millions of vegetarians without hair loss. you must have a pre existing problem. no way would cutting out meat,especially for just 4 weeks, would be the problem unless your body already had a problem that perhaps something in meat resolved.not to try and scare you but you might have a serious health issue that needs immediate medical attention.
cutting meat out of your diet for only four weeks should not cause your problem, but you shouldn't necessarily rule it out?





also are you stressed out over anything in particular, (apart from the issue you ask about)?





considering you're pesco-vegetarian (one who still eats fish and/or dairy) you are more then likely getting enough protein, essential amino acids and vitamins associated with good health.





If you aren't getting all your essential amino acids and vitamins that could contribute towards your problem... self assess yourself and to see where you may be going wrong.





the rule for cabrs is to get several servings of fibre rich foods per day and get at least 5-15 servings of vegetables, preferably green leafy and root types.





the rule for protein is to get at least 0.7 grams per KG of body weight, so if you weigh 60KG get at least 42 grams of protein every day, minimum! going over that figure will not be harmful to you, but try not to go over 2.5 grams per KG of body weight.





fats, these are essential! they provide the vitamins A, D, E and K as well as B vitamins which aid cell regeneration.





if you can tick all those off as being in your diet your problem is likely to be something else or you are simply shedding more hair than usual, it does happen! If you are still worried go to the doctor and get an evaluation.
Hmm. It's strange that your hair would fall out if you're eating ';a fair amount of dairy and eggs.'; But vegetarians do tend to have nutritional deficiencies that cause, among other things, thin hair. You should go to a doctor for a blood test to find out exactly what you're missing.





That being said, I know a lot of vegetarians, and none of them have nice thick lustrous hair, even the ones who are very uptight about proper nutrition. The vitamins and minerals you get in pills can help minimize the thinning but will always be inferior to actually eating meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment