Monday, January 30, 2012

Can a stressful relationship that just ended have caused my hair and weight loss?

I was in a relationship that was stressful for a while. At times it was stressful enough that I felt nauseated and I woke up most days feeling tense, scared, anxious.



I now weigh about the same as I did when I was 17, I can attribute this to food poisoning incidents also, (I travel alot in latin america, where I live now). I have also noticed alot of hair coming out whatever time of day. Now my dad is bald but my mom's brothers look like hippies. I am 21, so I expected that even if I got the gene, I would have a little more time.



Does anyone know about the effects of stress like these?Can a stressful relationship that just ended have caused my hair and weight loss?
Both emotional and physical stress (such as a serious illness or recovery from surgery) have been associated with hair loss. It is possible that stress induces hormonal changes that are responsible for the hair loss, since hair loss is a known consequence of other hormonal changes due to pregnancy, thyroid disturbances, or even from taking oral contraceptives.



Nervous habits, such as scalp rubbing or hair twisting or pulling may also be responsible for hair loss. These habits may be responses to psychological stress in some people and may be another cause of stress-related hair loss.



The hair loss from hormonal changes often disappears after a period of months to two years. As with other stress-related symptoms, learning and practicing effective stress-management techniques can help reduce the severity of the symptoms.Can a stressful relationship that just ended have caused my hair and weight loss?
See your doctor right away...
Yes, I would think so, only because I've experieced similar symptoms before being diagnosed with depression. Go tell your doc. and they'll give you something to make you feel better
yea a streesful realationship can cause those things, hair loss weight gain, lack of sleep and so on my advice trying using some coping skills that will calm you relax your mind, if anything doesn't work you might wanna talk to your doctor about the problem
see if you have underactive thyriod from blood test you sound like my hubby and he was like this are you moody and hot as well
Stress can cause a lot of things... So it is possible it is caused by stress...
yes stress can cause you to lose hair and weight.
It could be stress that you are losing both weight and hair. But the hair lose could be genetic. There is no time frame when you will lose your hair. I have seen it happen in tenagers. I started losing mine at your age.
yes it can i suffered from this when i was stressed and depressed a year ago spk to your doctor and he will advice you and help you get better i hope u r ok and good luck
Stress/worry/anxiety is a funny thing, well not funny ha ha just funny weird! It could make your hair fall out and would defo effect your weight. Hopefully now the relationhip has ended your stress levels should settle, if they dont you need to have a chat with your doctor. Take care and relax
Stress can cause this , but it could also be hereditary
Yes, that can happen. I was married to my ';high school sweetheart';. I was with him for 6 years, and I never weighed more than I did when I was 13. I looked sickly and pale. I lived off of coffee and cigarettes a lot of the time, and we fought constantly. When I finally got the cajones to leave him, I gained 15 lbs. Stress can do A LOT of things. A lot of serious things. If you are not with him anymore, start thinking about YOURSELF. You will begin to get healthy again.
Stress that continues without relief can lead to a condition called distress -- a negative stress reaction. Distress can lead to physical symptoms including headaches, upset stomach, elevated blood pressure, chest pain, and problems sleeping. Research suggests that stress also can bring on or worsen certain symptoms or diseases.



Chronic stress can wear down the body's natural defenses, leading to a variety of physical symptoms, including the following:

Dizziness or a general feeling of ';being out of it';

General aches and pains

Grinding teeth, clenched jaw

Headaches

Indigestion

Increase in or loss of appetite

Muscle tension in neck, face or shoulders

Problems sleeping

Racing heart

Cold and sweaty palms

Tiredness, exhaustion

Trembling/shaking

Weight gain or loss

Upset stomach



Stress can also effect overexpression of genes, that may trigger premature baldness. So try to relax.



For more info on how to destress check out

WebMd ';Stressed out- Relax';

http://www.webmd.com/content/pages/7/167
Yes, these can be attributed from stress.

Stress has biological effects on the body that many people do not realize.

Stress can cause stomach problems; i.e. constipation, diarhea, which causes weight loss.

When you are under stress your body releases stress hormones called cortisol into your body, which has short term and long term effects.

If you were in a relationship that put under stress for a long period of time, it might be in your best interest to take a break to get your mind, body and spirit back to a healthier status.

Try yoga, and other forms of meditation. It might also help to read up on stress management and effects of stress on the body.

Wish you the best
yes, stress causes a lot of problems. Hair loss, weigh changes, personality changes, depression.
It most certainly can.



Stress can cause nausea, diarehha, weight loss or weight gain, hair loss, loss of appetite or increased appetite...all sorts of things.



During the early stages of my divorce, I had issues with nausea and weight loss...it eventually works itself out once the stressor is removed though.

No comments:

Post a Comment